The Swedish Gambling Authority is an expert authority in questions regarding gambling and lottery. The authority is responsible for ensuring that the Swedish gaming and gambling market is legal, safe and reliable. We issue permits for lotteries and have overall responsibility for control and supervision of gambling and lottery activities in Sweden. The Swedish Gambling Authority is controlled by the Ministry of Finance and its Board is appointed by the Government. The Director General manages the activities and is a member of the Board.
- Provide consumers with the tools needed for fair gaming by maintaining a transparent and balanced gaming market in addition to reducing the potentially harmful social effects which gambling may entail.
- Work towards a sound and safe gaming market.
- Contribute to a reduction of illegal gambling and lottery operations
Grant permits for national lotteries, gaming machines, restaurant casinos as well as certain bingo permits.
Grant type approval to lottery tickets as well as to equipment for surveillance and drawing.
Have overall responsibility for compliance and supervision of gambling and lottery operations.
Provide training and information on gambling and lottery legislation.
Inform the government of the developments in the Swedish and foreign gaming markets
The Swedish Gambling Authority exercises its commission under the Lotteries Act (1994:1000), the Act on arrangements for certain gaming machines (1982:636) and the Casino Act (1999:355).
What we don´t do
The Swedish Gambling Authority will answer general questions concerning the Swedish lottery legislation as well as general questions in regards to gambling and lottery operations.
However, we do not:
- Offer detailed answers for specific questions concerning gambling and lottery activities.
- Give concrete legal advice in questions regarding the development of new business models or business ideas to market players or individuals who intend to start a lottery or gaming operation.
- Resolve consumer complaints concerning money lost on placed bets or from a gaming machine. Complaints of this kind may instead be a question for the Swedish Consumer Agency.
- Supervise lotteries arranged abroad. The Gambling Authority works with granting permits as well as supervising Swedish lotteries. Consequently, it is not possible for the Gambling Authority to supervise lotteries arranged abroad.